Kids ????



Do you think that we are supposed to know how this parenting thing should go? Yesterday, I felt all was good with the world. Aaron has been doing so much better, in a good mood, doing homework without too much prodding, talking about his buddies at school . It was funny, last night he told me that one of his friends was teaching him about how to be cool. He said well " so and so " said that the first important thing about being cool- is to have white teeth and good breath.... ( I'm thinking to myself... hmmm I have been nagging this kid about tooth brushing for approx 10 yrs now and he is finally interested in it) So this morning as we are getting ready to go he says " I brushed my stupid teeth for five whole minutes and they still are not white!" Of course while he is saying this he has the look of utmost disgust and dissapointment on his face... oh to be ten again.... NO THANKS. Anyway, then he proceeds to say that yesterday some kid rushed infront of him at lunch and took his seat... he didn't want to wear his new hoodie because it has a basketball on it and the kids "make fun of me- I stunk at basketball- and they call me fat..... just like every other day".....
ok... ok... so what is a mother to do. Do you go for the sympathy roll... and tell him it is okay... don't worry about it. Do you go for the old....be tough, just hang in there and push back. Do you just shake your head and not claim to understand the complicated dynamics of trying to fit in when you are ten. I don't know really. I am not sure how to guide him. I know it is all small in the big scheme of things, but on a daily basis it can be hard... Oh well.... maybe today we will find another pearl of wisdom about how to "be cool".




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home